We dog lovers understand the kind of joy our furry friends bring to us. We love anything about them but practically there are few things we do not also like. The smell of urine inside our house. Ew! That’s the common expression once it sticks to our sense of smell.
Dogs tend to accidentally urinate at the carpet. And when they do it, we get to panic on how to remove stains. Here are some tips for faster and easy way of removing dog pee smell in the carpet.
Cleaning the Dog Pee Stains from the Carpet
- Blot the urinated spot with a clean towel. Paper towel is also helpful in absorbing the remaining urine. It is better to do it fast so to avoid further absorption.
- Pour a one-quarter teaspoon of liquid dishwashing detergent that contains bleach or lanolin to a mix of cup warm water.
- Using an empty sprayer, pour the mixture onto it then spray it to the urinated area.
- Use shop-vac in extracting the mixture from the carpet, if you do not have it, use cotton cloth or paper towels.
- Rinse the spot with warm water then repeat the process until you will see the urine gets fade.
- Pour a couple tablespoon of ammonia, a cleaning fluid, into a cup of water and pour it on the stain until it totally fades.
Cleaning the Dog Pee from the Carpet
- Put a clean towel or paper cloth to the urine and let it soak the stain. Press it firmly for a full absorption.
- Pour a mixture of 50% vinegar and 50% water to the area of the carpet until it reaches down to the fiber.
- Scrub deeply the carpet using a brush for neutralization.
- Mix a half cup of hydrogen peroxide to a teaspoon of dishwashing detergent and apply it to the urine stain. Try scrubbing again to thoroughly clean the carpet.
- When satisfied with the result, let it dry.
- Start to vacuum the carpet.
Others disagree with using hard chemicals like ammonia and vinegar for cleaning. The Humane Society believes using those items are not exactly removing the smell. Hence there is high-quality stain remover for carpets you can choose from. Below are the options:
1) Rocco & Roxie Professional Strength Stain & Odor Eliminator – Enzyme-Powered Pet Odor & Stain Remover for Dog and Cats Urine
Rocco & Roxie Professional Strength Stain & Odor Eliminator remover does not just remove the stain but also the stink. The stinky yellow pet urine, feces, and other spills will be totally removed. It contains natural enzymatic bacteria that fights the odors and stains. It has no chlorine thus safe for colorful carpets. The more good news in this product, it has earned an approval from the trusted Carpet and Rug Institute (CRI).
2) BUBBAS, Super Strength Commercial Enzyme Cleaner-Pet Odor Eliminator.
One of the most reviewed pet odor remover, it has billions of enzymes that work down to the carpet pad as a stain destroyer. Once you order this, they promised to give a refund if stains are proven not eliminated.
3. Pet Stain and Odor Remover
This dog’s stain remover is approved by the Carpet and Rug Institute. It has a Bio-enzyme formula for a complete removal of stains as well as the odors. It was made in the USA and proudly say they have met the highest quality standard.
4 .Nature’s Miracle Stain & Odor Remover
Nature’s Miracle Stain and odor remover will fill your home with a lovely floral scent. You’ll surely love the lavender smell after spraying. Use it on carpets, floors, furniture, clothing and more, guaranteed to permanently eliminate stain and odors.
5. Natures Miracle Advanced Pet Trigger Spray
Natures Miracle Advanced Pet Trigger Spray deeply cleans to help remove all pet mess traces and dried faster to minimize tracking. Use this to Carpets, Hard surfaces, Clothing, and other fabrics. Stubborn stains and odors caused by dogs and other pets are not a problem anymore.
Furthermore, The Carpet and Rug Institute are also displaying other cleaning solutions to their websites. You can check on their site the products that have passed the CRI’s SOA testing protocol.
Natural Stain Eliminator
There are some who prefers the natural way of eliminating stains and odor from the carpet. Household items that can only be found right in the kitchen are the simpler and inexpensive optional method.
Vinegar/Baking Soda mixture
Try using white vinegar that even old stains cannot be missed. Baking soda is the other known natural odor remover, use these both and it will surely amaze you. Simply mix these both to a lukewarm water and spray it to the urinated area.
Hydrogen-peroxide/Baking Soda mixture
Hydrogen Peroxide is known for putting into pieces the crystals of urine and pulling off the stains. Combine these both with an eco-friendly dish liquid and you’ll have another great solution for pee and odor removal.
The popular “enzymes” is always used in known commercialized stain removal products. Moreover, all you need to produce this natural enzyme are brown sugar, peels of lemon and orange, and a liter of water. Patience and time are the only necessary effort you’ll have, with all ease you can create this one.
Other Settlement Ways
We cannot give up our dogs. Cleaning their mess is might difficult and tiring but they are worth it. After all, without noticing it, it’s not the sacrifice that really matters. We enjoy the responsibilities while we are so much in love to have them around.
Hence, if you found our tips not enough for a total removal of dog pee’s odor consider looking for a professional assistance. There are professional cleaners who are trained well to do the treatment. Otherwise, replacement or removing the carpet is the last option. Certainly, we hate stains and the smell of it. What is always the important here, clean it right away once you have discovered the pee. Do not let the bacteria grow and your health will be at risk.